Did you know: around the world, 1/3 of all food produced, is wasted, and over 1/3 of the waste we produce is food.
Why is this a problem? Food waste contributes to food shortages (food insecurity and malnutrition are still major issues in 2022), greenhouse gas emissions (% contributions are worse than flying) and unnecessary household expenses.
One of the reasons we decided to change our bundles from fresh to frozen was to help avoid food waste.
Here are some more helpful tips to help you avoid waste!
(1) Use what you already have, empty the fridge before restocking. Use an online “recipe search engine” (by ingredients) for inspiration.
(2) Store your food properly in the fridge or freezer and use up your leftovers. Last night’s dinner can be packed lunch for a few days!
(3) Plan your meals and snacks! Make a shopping list before hitting the supermarket or online ordering.
(4) Try new recipes - most veggies, even after they reach a point of looking a bit sad can still being useable if thrown into a soup or sauce.
(5) Compost if you can! In your own garden if possible, if not, via FOGO bins or community compost drop offs.