To have a great meatball recipe in your pocket for December is to have a crowd pleaser, to whip out mid week for the family and visitors that is also good enough to take as a plate to a lunch or dinner.
Our meatball recipe is tried and tested, loved by kids and adults alike. My sister in law brought this dish to a December get together 2 years ago and I quickly stole the recipe, Daisy added her nutritionist tweaks, and it appeared on the Whole Bowl menu soon after.
Serve it with pasta, crunchy bread or a bowl of veggies. This makes enough for 4/5 adults. I double it if I'm taking it to an event.
You will need:
1 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
1 large onion
1kg grass fed beef mince
2 free range eggs
1/4 cup dried oregano
1/2 cup parmesan
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
125ml water (ish)
EVOO to brown
mozzarella to top
- Grate onions, carrot and zucchini and mix breadcrumbs through, leave for 5 mins to absorb juice
- mix in a large bowl with mince, eggs, herbs, parmesan, salt and pepper, garlic - massage together and leave to sit for 30 mins
- heat oven to 180 degrees
- make the balls
- brown the balls in evoo in a pan or dutch oven
- pour some passata on the bottom of a cast iron skillet or baking dish, add the meatballs on top, mix the rest of the passata with some water to thin it out and pour over the meatballs
- top with mozzarella
- bake in the oven until the cheese has browned and the sauce is bubbling.