I'm well and truly in the "need fast, easy, cheap, nutritious and delicious meals" phase of life - this is postpartum!
This Secret Ingredient Dahl is a real crowd pleaser and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
It is rich in plant protein, iron, fibre and anti-inflammatory compounds.
Tonight I served the Dahl with brown rice, turmeric-roasted-cauliflower, a beetroot-red cabbage-carrot slaw and lemon.
Secret Ingredient Dahl
generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion
3 garlic cloves
1 heaped tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Just less than 1 tablespoon curry powder (mild)
1 teaspoon smoky paprika
400g tin of tomatoes
400g tin of coconut milk
1 cup split red lentils
1 cup liquid vegetable stock (a little extra water if needed)
SECRET INGREDIENT: 1/4 cup peanut butter (I love Mayver's) you could also use almond butter if you prefer!
- dice onion, grate ginger, and mince garlic, add to large sauce pan with oil and spices
- fry on a medium heat until onions are softened and spices are aromatic
- add tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils and liquid stock
- stir well to combine
- bring to the boil and then reduce heat
- simmer whilst stirring frequently until lentils are cooked, you may add more water here if you want it to be thinner
- lastly add the peanut butter and mix well