Remember that 38°C day in early December? I'm sure it won't be the last of the hot days this summer! On that day I was locked up at home in the air con, breastfeeding round the clock to keep the little guy hydrated. I also had a deliciously ripe punnet of strawberries to use and a little time to whip up this salad rich in fibre, plant protein, antioxidants and juicy hydrating fruit and veggies!
This would be a great salad to make as a large sharing platter too!
butter lettuce or your favourite soft leafy greens
beetroot (I prefer to use raw but you can buy it pre-cooked)
sweet ripe strawberries
high quality balsamic vinegar
- cook quinoa as per packet instructions, I always cook in vegetable stock to make it tasty, set aside and leave to cool
- cut beetroot into quarters and boil until desired tenderness, I like to leave them a little crunchy, place in cool water
- peel and cut beetroot into bitesize pieces
- wash and cut veggies and strawberries
- cook halloumi until a little golden, you can grill or fry in a pan (no oil required)
- now plate up: a base of quinoa, salad leaves, cucumber, beetroot, halloumi and strawberries, drizzle with balsamic and enjoy!